• Frequently Asked Questions About Adult Education
    Who may attend? Groton Adult Education programs are open to all adults residing within the boundaries of Groton Public Schools who are 17 years old or older and have not completed high school. (This includes the City and Town of Groton, Navy Submarine Base, and Mystic locations west of the Mystic River - see Groton street listing for more details.)  ESOL, ABE, and Citizenship classes are also open to immigrants seeking to become citizens or wanting to learn English.
    Where is the program located? The program is located at West Side Middle School, 250 Brandegee Avenue, Groton, CT. Groton residents can also attend classes at Three Shaw's Cove in New London through a partnership with New London Adult & Continuing Education.
    What is the cost? This program is free to all Groton residents. Textbooks and other student resources are also provided free of charge.
    What are the hours of the program? Classes are held on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.  Courses are offered in two semester sessions: September to January and January to June. 
    When can I enroll in classes?  Open registration is held in August and January for each semester.  Students may come in to meet with staff on any school evening for additional enrollment information.
    What do I need to bring to enroll in the program?  Students will need two forms of identification (driver's license, library card, state ID, etc.) and proof of address (recent piece of mail addressed to student, utility bill, rent receipt, etc.).  If a student has any past school records such as transcripts, report cards, or name/address of last school attended, this information is useful in enrolling, but not required at the time of regristration.
    What kind of diploma will I receive if I participate in the program? Students participating in the CDP program receive a standard High School diploma.  This program requires students to earn a required number of credits to receive the diploma. (Detailed information can be found in the student handbook provided at registration.)  Students participating in the GED program receive a Connecticut high school diploma.
    Are there graduation activities if I complete the program?  A special end of year graduation is also held at the Adult Education site for students and their families; this includes caps, gowns and lots of applause!
    What type of courses will I take in the credit diploma program?  The program offers a variety of courses in English, Math, Science, and Social Studies that include courses in Street Law, Forensic Science, and Life Skills Math, Personal Finance, and Computer usage.
    Can I earn credit for life or work experience? The CDP program does award credit for work/life experience based on state requirements.  The student handbook provides additional information and all students meet with a Guidance Counselor to review allowable credits.
    Is childcare available during class time?  Groton Public Schools currently does not provide childcare during class time.
    Is transportation available for students?  School transportation is not available to evening programs.  The school is located on the SEAT bus route with an assigned stop directly in front of the school. Detailed schedules and fees for SEAT services can be found at their website.
    Please contact one of our directors at 441-2152 if you have additional questions.